US Department of Justice renews investigation into FBI failures in Larry Nassar investigation

WASHINGTON, Oct. 5 (Reuters) – The US Department of Justice has opened a new investigation into the FBI’s botched handling of its sexual abuse investigation of disgraced former US gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar, after previously refusing to prosecute the officers involved, Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco said Tuesday.

“The recently confirmed Deputy Attorney General of the Criminal Division is currently examining this case, including new information that has come to light,” Monaco told the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, adding that it was “compelled” to do so. she could say more.

“I want the committee and frankly I want the survivors to understand how seriously we take this issue,” she added.

In a moving hearing last month, famous gymnasts including Simone Biles and McKayla Maroney appeared before the same Senate panel, where they lambasted the FBI for failing to properly investigate the abuse they suffered. under the care of Nassar.

The hearing was sparked by a scathing investigation by the Justice Department’s Inspector General, which uncovered widespread and serious errors that allowed Nassar to continue mistreating at least 70 other victims before he was ultimately arrested.

Two former FBI agents were singled out in the report – the former Indianapolis field office special agent in charge W. Jay Abbott and a former supervisory special agent who has since been identified as Michael Langeman.

The inspector general referred the two former agents to prosecution, but the justice ministry refused to file a complaint against them in September 2020.

Reporting by Sarah N. Lynch; Editing by Andrea Ricci

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.


Source link

About the author