U.S. Trade Chief: More Action To Take On Huawei If Needed


A Huawei logo is seen at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Shanghai, China on February 23, 2021. REUTERS / Aly Song / File Photo

WASHINGTON, Sept.23 (Reuters) – US Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo on Thursday said the Biden administration would take further action against Chinese telecommunications company Huawei (HWT.UL) if necessary, after some Republican lawmakers asked for more measurements.

Washington claims Huawei is a threat to national security for a variety of reasons and has aggressively pressured other countries not to use Huawei equipment in next-generation 5G networks. Citing Huawei’s ties to the Chinese government and military, Washington says this makes the company vulnerable to “pressure from the Chinese government to participate in espionage.” Read more

In an interview with Reuters, Raimondo was asked about Huawei and recounted how she told Republican lawmakers in January “I wouldn’t be soft and now the proof is in the pudding – we haven’t been. They don’t. should not worry “.

Former President Donald Trump’s administration added Huawei to the US Entity List in May 2019. Raimondo said the list “is a really powerful tool in our toolkit, and we will use it to the fullest extent. possible to protect US national security. “

She added, “Will we do more? If we need it, yes.

Huawei declined to comment on Raimondo’s comments.

Huawei announced in November 2020 that it was selling its budget-branded smartphone unit, Honor Device Co, to a consortium of more than 30 agents and resellers. Last month, a group of 14 Republican lawmakers in the U.S. House of Representatives asked the Commerce Department to add the honor to the entity list.

Republican lawmakers said Honor was split “to escape US export control policies.” The letter quoted analysts as saying that “Honor’s sale gave it access to the semiconductor chips and software it relied on and would likely have been blocked if the divestiture had not taken place.”

Raimondo noted that the Commerce Department continued to add other companies to the entity list.

In June, five more Chinese companies were added after the department said they were involved in forced labor by Uyghurs and other Muslim minority groups in Xinjiang.

“We continue to work on our export controls,” Raimondo said.

Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Leslie Adler

Our standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.


About the author