Governor Greg Abbott today held a swearing-in ceremony for Texas Military Department (TDG) Assistant Adjutant General Monie Ulis in Mission, Texas. Governor Abbott was joined by Adjutant General TMD Tracy Norris at the ceremony, which comes after the Governor appointed Assistant Adjutant General Ulis to the post in September.
As Deputy Adjutant General, Ulis will lead TMD’s coordinated border missions for Operation Lone Star, which Governor Abbott launched in March with the Texas Department of Public Safety to combat human and drug trafficking. in Texas.
âMonie Ulis is a courageous and dedicated leader with 35 years of extensive experience in the Texas Army National Guard, making her a fantastic choice to serve as Assistant Adjutant General,â said Governor Abbott. âTexas has taken unprecedented steps to secure the border through Operation Lone Star, and the Texas National Guard has played a central role in addressing the crisis in the absence of the federal government. under the direction of Deputy Adjutant General Ulis, we will continue to respond in force to face this border crisis and ensure the safety of Texans. â
Governor Abbott has taken important steps to secure the border following inaction by the federal government. These actions include:
- Signing of laws to provide $ 3 billion in funding for Texas border security efforts
- Launch of Operation Lone Star and deployment of thousands of National Guard and Department of Public Security soldiers
- Create a system to arrest and imprison illegal migrants who break in or commit other state crimes in Texas
- Signing of a budget authorization for the construction of the border wall in Texas
- Signing of a law to facilitate the prosecution of smugglers bringing people into Texas
- Signing of 9 laws cracking down on human trafficking in Texas
- Signing of a law strengthening penalties for the manufacture and distribution of fentanyl
- Issuance of a disaster declaration for the border crisis
- Promulgation of a decree prohibiting non-governmental entities from transporting illegal immigrants
- Take legal action to enforce Rester in Mexico and Title 42 policies in Texas