After court victory, Biden tries again to end Trump’s ‘stay in Mexico’ program

US President Joe Biden talks to reporters as he boards Air Force One on a trip to eastern Kentucky to visit families affected by the devastation of recent flooding, as he departs Delaware Air National Guard Base in New Castle, Delaware, U.S., August 8, 2022. REUTERS/Kévin Lamarque

Join now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Register

WASHINGTON, Aug 8 (Reuters) – Several thousand migrants forced to wait in Mexico under a Trump-era program will be gradually allowed to enter the United States to pursue their asylum claims within weeks and coming months, the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said Monday.

The move comes after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of Democratic President Joe Biden in his administration’s bid to end the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP) program, which pushed non-Mexican migrants back to the Mexico to wait for the resolution of their cases in the United States, which sometimes took months or years.

The Biden administration will no longer enroll migrants in the MPP and those currently waiting in Mexico will be removed from the program and allowed to enter the United States upon their return for their next scheduled court dates, DHS said in a statement. .

Join now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Register

The scheme, informally known as “Stay in Mexico”, was launched in 2019 under former President Donald Trump, a Republican who sought to restrict legal and illegal immigration. Under Trump, the initiative forced more than 65,000 non-Mexican asylum seekers across the border where they waited in squalid and often dangerous conditions.

Biden ended the MPP shortly after taking office in January 2021 as part of his effort to reverse the hardline policies of his Republican predecessor. But the termination was blocked by a federal judge in August 2021, forcing Biden to restart the program and ultimately sending the legal fight to the Supreme Court. Read more

As of July 6, nearly 5,800 migrants had been sent to Mexico under a revamped version of the program, according to DHS statistics.

The Biden administration has been separately blocked by a court from ending another Trump-era order known as Title 42 that allows border officials to deport migrants without giving them the chance to seek asylum. to limit the spread of COVID-19. Read more

Join now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Register

Reporting by Ted Hesson in Washington; Editing by Mica Rosenberg

Our standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

About the author